Skip to main content


Agencies who may be involved

Young girl pink top with woman

To get the best help for you and your child, different professionals who know you or your child best may be involved. Agencies likely to be involved include:

Social Work

Social Work have a duty to investigate any alleged incident of child abuse and to assess the risk to a child and their need for protection. Social Work are responsible for co-ordinating investigations in conjunction with the Police and to invite all relevant agencies to contribute to a risk assessment and any plans to protect a child. Social Work will often work closely with the child and the family to provide supports that ensure a child's safety and help to promote their welfare.


The Police have a duty to investigate any alleged offence against a child and will often do so in cases of alleged child abuse in conjunction with Social Work. As part of an investigation the Police may require to interview witnesses and any alleged suspect. The Police will also share relevant information with the other agencies to contribute to a risk assessment.


There are many Health staff who could be involved in a child's care, or with the care of adults, who have a responsibility for children. Health staff will often contribute to any assessment of risk and at times assist with an investigation into allegations of abuse. Health staff, for example a Health Visitor, may work closely with a family to provide support, if necessary.


Education professionals can play a key role in identifying and reporting concerns about a child. If a child is felt to be at risk, or in need of additional supports, education may also contribute to this support and also often monitor the progress of the child as part of the Child Protection Plan.

Other Service / Voluntary Agencies

Many professionals work with children, and/or their parents, outwith the statutory services such as Social Work and Education. In some instances, their involvement may be focussed on providing a therapeutic service to a child, and/or their parent. They may be asked, or feel the need, to share relevant information with other agencies if there are concerns about a child's welfare.