Skip to main content


What to do if concerned about a child

Young girl

While it is the responsibility of child protection agencies such as Social Work and Police to investigate whether or not abuse has taken place, it is EVERYONE’S responsibility to report concerns about a child.

Reporting to Line Manager

If you have identified concerns about a child you should record these concerns and report them immediately to the appropriate line manager.

Passing on Concerns to Social Work    

If you or a member of staff are worried about a child's safety or welfare, a referral should be made to Social Work. In the first instance, this should be made by telephone.

This phone call should be followed up in writing within 24 hours.